Audio and Video Production at our Melbourne Recording Studio
We have produced over 300 CD's and shot and edited several films, as well as cutting thousands of LP's at Spring Studio. We specialize in world, jazz, R&B, acoustic and vocal music.
Spring studio is centally located in Prahran, Victoria, just 20 minutes from the CBD.
We have ample free parking and easy PT access via Trams 5 and 64 (stop 39). The studio is 200 metres from the tram stop.
For the past ten years we have been shooting, editing and authoring DVD’s for artists from around the world. Spring Studio also acts as acoustic consultants and have designed several studios, and treated rooms in public buildings.
Currently we are preparing a great interactive facility for the local community, doing some researh into lighting technogies and completing a couple of long overdue masterpieces. More coming soon.
SHIRAZZ Live in Northcote Nov 2012
We have completed the live recording amixing and mastering of this exciting and slightly wild group of Jazz Fiends at the Uniting Church Hall ( where we also did the acoustic treatment). The two day recording resulted in 12 finished instrumental tracks, some of which have had vocals added. All the lead vocals and harmonies were completed on time and therefore in budget on a single day. It is so good when musicians take their work seriously enough to prepare the lyrics and listen to the backing tracks.(hint hint)
What was exceptional about the recording was the use of the reverberant space with its carefully adjusted RT60 of 1.5 seconds next to a improvised drum room with a lower ceiling and heavy doors which allowed sufficient seperation so the Double Bass, always hard to record live next to a loud drum kit, could be heard and seperation was just enough for the Banjo and Horns to Thrive and Jive. The horns really loved the live 'real' reverb and everyone commented how easy it was to play compared to their recent experience at Sing Sing South, which while having great equipment, was not conducive to playing live with instruments that need pitching. Headphones just dont cut it most of the time with a live ensemble, and its no good saying you are going to fix it in the mix if the musicians are not playing well together. Look forward to hearing this excellent album. Shirazz walked several steps up the ladder of finess with this one, and thier current tour is providing ample feedback about the poroject.
Current Projects - Electromechanical acoustic engineering
- Spring Studio and Spring Innovations have successfully completed installing the Federation Bells Project at Birrung Marr for the City of Melbourne and Arts Victoria. This two year project involved analysis and design of a completely new type of carillon playing mechanism, associated smart electronics, programming , manufacture and installation, testing and proving. So far the system is performing within 99.75% of specification. The final service has gone smoothly and the system shows little signs of wear. Next up , a spartphone app to play the bells with your mates, and innovative lighting that follows the music.
- Shaking the Tree Choir are recording a CD and filming clips.
- Composing for a new musical to be staged in Texas.
- Remixing of a live concert for local heavy rock band ' Wired'
- Recording of a series of acoustic songs for Local Songwriter Michael Burrows to workshop with Tim Finn in NZ
- Manufacture of a large public instrument for possible Museum installation.
- Design of an even larger public instrument for a well known public space in USA.
Below is a short description of the audio services we offer. Click on the blue headings for more information
a variety of mobile rigs are available, tailored to provide quality recordings anywhere - from the Club to the Concert Hall. 2 to 24 tracks, 44.1 to 192 - 24 bit, and one bit 5MHz resolution.
Up to an eight piece band. Great mics and 30 years mic placement experience make a notable sound.
Sibelius 5 and 6 with Kontakt for Score creation for any project requiring traditional written arrangements. Komplete 7 from Native Instruments including Kontact 4 create great synthetic backing for appropriate projects
Over 16 years experience in HD editing. Nuendo/Cuebase is my DAW of choice
I mix in Nuendo. This powerful program is industry choice for many film projects and featured specialised 5.1 design.
I regularly produce masters for DVD, CD and vinyl from a variety of sources
Artwork (this Link goes off site)
Bee Williamson offers a competitive artwork service
Recently Completed Musical illustrates the life and loves of John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Written by composers David and Mark Jaeggi, this full length musical, with 27 songs, was arranged , recorded and scored at Spring Studio and is now seeking a producer. http://www.jagsmusic.com/home.html The original recordings were completed by Carl Pannuzzo, Penny Larkins, Sig Thornton, Liz van Dort and the Spring Studio Singers. Catchy tunes and a great story, some really moving moments.
Kavisha was awarded the National Film and Sound archive National Folk Recording Award
for a CD released in 2010 by a performer appearing at the 2011 festival. Love and Sorrow - by Kavisha Mazzella with Nano Stern, recorded mixed and mastered by Harry at Spring Studio.